Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a Dogue De Bordeaux (French Mastiff), I just got back

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have a Dogue De Bordeaux (French Mastiff), I just got back from a walk in the mountains and throwing the ball for her. Looks like she *might* have gotten stung by something on her eye lid there is a red bump. The eye has sunk in a little, pupil is constricted, and watery eye. Thinking of giving her benadryl
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Would that impact her eye?
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 2.5 years, 115 pounds in great health
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?
Customer: She has been very hyper the past few days, But it has also been raining.....inside a lot but I still get her out for walks and running
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

This could indeed be an insect sting or bite that caused the swelling. If you believe that might be the case, benadryl at a dosage of 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours to control the swelling.

However, this could be a sty or growth or even a hair follicle that is becoming infected or clogged. You will need the sty or growth looked at by your Vet as it may start to affect the way your dog's eyelashes set and start irritating the eyeball leading to an eye infection or scratches to the eye or corneal ulcerations from the constant rubbing of the growths against the eye.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/corneal-ulceration-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Early prevention is best in these cases. If it starts to irritate her, you can use sterile saline solution like contact lens wearers use to rinse her eye.

An infection of the hair follicle should clear with antibiotics as should a sty. However, a cyst or other growth might need to be removed. Since this might be tumors, I'm going to give you a site on these.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/eyelid-tumors-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I would recommend having this checked over by your vet tomorrow to determine the exact nature of the bumps and so treatment can be started.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?