Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 16 year old overweight doxy cannot stand up tonight. Back

Customer Question

My 16 year old overweight doxy cannot stand up tonight. Back legs are splaying. No matter what I do, she cannot keep them together. Does not seem to be in pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound. She has been extremely inactive for months now - mostly laying in her bed but could still get up and get water and pee until tonight. Cannot get off bed and cannot move around even when I use the belly band to assist her.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Little Girl
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She has been drinking lots of water and she pees an ocean. She has cataracts but still eats her dinner which we take to her and sit her up to eat.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi Jacustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I'm sure you must know that dachshunds are prone to Intervertebral Disk Disease (IVDD). There doesn't have to be an injury as it is a degenerative disease. You can read more on this disease here:

http://www.doxierescue.com/IVDD_Treatment_Options.html

There are surgical options available but whether your girl would be a good candidate for surgery or not would be up to your vet. If she is found to not be a good candidate for surgery, your vet will likely suggest getting her weight down, prescribing some antiinflammatory medications and possibly suggest a doggy wheelchair for her.

You can read more on ivdd here:

http://www.doxierescue.com/IVDD_Disease_Background.html

And help restore her mobility here:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/dog-wheelchair-small-adjustable-wheelchairs-for-dogs-with-disabilities

I'd try to get her in to your vet as soon as possible so medications can be prescribed. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She does not appear to be in pain.

In some cases there is pain, in others paralyses is the result due to loss of feeling in the rear extremities depending Which discs are involved. The anti-inflammatory medications might reduce inflammation leading to a restoration of feeling and mobility.