Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My blue heeler that is about six months is acting like she

Customer Question

My blue heeler that is about six months is acting like she has a stomach ache. We had thrown a bunch of venison meat away into our pit and I think she has been eating some of this meat that has gone bad. What can I do?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I am wondering what I can give her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sami
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sami?
Customer: she has not been throwing up having trouble going to the bathroom
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Was this meat cooked or raw?
2) Any bones present?
3) Can you confirm, she is NOT vomiting or having diarrhea?
4) What symptoms are you seeing that suggest not feeling well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Raw meat that has been out in the pit for about two weeks.
Some had bones
Yesterday she acted like she needed to cough something up--hacking a lot like a fur ball was in her throat
I don't think she has thrown up--she is an outside dog so not sure

How are her stools? Are they solid?

Is she still eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She seems like she is having trouble pooping. She hunches up and no luck. She is peeing.

Two things can be happening when we see this. First, there can be diarrhea that is causing cramping or there may be something within the intestines blocking her from being able to pass the stool.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. Feeding a high fiber, bland diet can help with diarrhea and can also help move through any items in the intestines. That said, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, Sami absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If Sami requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800