PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I just saw a 8 week old yorkie mix puppy. She didnt have all

I just saw a 8 week old yorkie mix puppy. She didnt have all her front teeth in and her tongue was slightly protruding. / should I be concerned
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: I was considering buying her from the family but I'm concerned that she still doesn't have all her teeth but they say she's eating well and sees the vet on Friday
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No just curious if this is a sign that something wrong with the puppy. I have never had a small breed dog and was concerned for her long term health

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you she's a yorkie Maltese mix

At 8 weeks, she should have all of her puppy teeth visible. If not, I suspect someone may be trying to sell off barely weaned puppies and is not a tolerable practice. Most puppies will acquire their very first deciduous teeth around 4-5 weeks of age. If age is not the most concerning factor here, a congenital issue.

Before any sale of puppies happen, they need to be vet checked, vaccinated, dewormed and given medical approval for the pups to be placed. Did this family provide proof of such a visit or visits?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The puppy seeing the vet on Friday of this week.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The seller says this is there first litter of puppies and when I met the owner she seemed somewhat casual about her teeth but was honest and said she would call me once the puppy had her vet check.

If the puppy has had absolutely no vet check, I would wait until Friday. If possible, attend the vet check to be able to ask specifically why this puppy does not have the proper teeth for its age. If there is no reasonable answer for this, you're correct to be concerned long-term for her health.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok I appreciate your honest answers and I agree it's concerning but sad she was such a cute puppy.

Let's hope there is a reason and, if so, that the vet can explain. Sometimes very tiny puppies have very tiny teeth so they may simply be present at the gum line. But, if not, this might be a good time to decide to wait for a more healthy puppy.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The owner wasn't going to sell the puppy until the vet check so I'll wait and follow up with the vet but probably need to pass on the puppy
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Good information unfortunately I'll have to call the vet because the puppy in an area that I travel for business and it's no an option to attend visit. I'll have the owner call me and arrange to discuss concern with vet

Whew! That's excellent news and speaks to their credibility. I'm afraid veterinary staff so frequently see shady deals involving puppies that almost all of us are biased against them happening, especially with first time or 'accidental' litters. There is a LOT that goes into ensuring that two dogs are healthy enough to make babies and a lot of people simply let them breed because they are intact and of a certain breed. Those are the puppies we want owners to stay far away from as there have been few, if any, procedures to check long term health such as heart, thyroid, hips, elbows, etc.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Well I have had mostly rescue dogs and feel bad buying a puppy but because of my travel the dog needs to be small enough to stay with me and be non shedding
Customer: replied 6 days ago.

No worries. If this doesn't work out, consider working looking on A great deal of puppies "Morkie" puppies do come into rescue and you can use the website to search for breed, age, gender, etc.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok great advice

Happy to help. Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.