Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My 14 year old Yorkie suddenly has urgency to pee and a

Customer Question

My 14 year old Yorkie suddenly has urgency to pee and a little blood. Our vet is closed until morning. Is there anything I can give him to help him thru the night?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Teddy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?
Customer: No he is in good health. Deaf is all.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Blood in the urine can mean bladder stones or a urinary tract infection and either would need antibiotics, and if there are stones then maybe a change in diet.

At this point, because we are not sure of the cause for urgency, it is important that he have enough fresh water to drink to continue to flush out the system.

At age 14 though, you can't rule out other issues that may be a bit more serious, such as what is listed in the link below or bladder cancer.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/hematuria-blood-in-urine-in-dogs

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my question was is there anything I can give him tonight (baby aspirin,etc) to ease the pain until we can see vet in the morning?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

since you are going to the Vet tomorrow I would suggest you not give anything because if your vet want to prescribe a pain medication it may have to wait until something like aspirin leaves the body. As well aspirin thins the blood which could make bleeding worse. I would just make sure he has enough fresh water. Also if they need to do blood work you don't want meds in the system