petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

She has yellow mucus coming out of her eyes. Brought her to

Customer Question

she has yellow mucus coming out of her eyes. Brought her to a vet and he told us that she has dry eyes. Nothing helps it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy is 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: She recently has some dry spots in her ear
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Lucy today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Did your vet perform a test to measure her tear production?

Can you tell me the names of the medications that have been tried?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he did 3 different tests. dry eye, eye wash, also we've tried Benadryl thinking that she has allergies
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Is she has dry eye or keratoconjunctivitis sicca, she will need additional topical therapy for her eyes besides eyewash. Eyewash is an important part of the treatment, but all it does is to keep her eyelids and cornea free of discharge so that the medication can do it's job. Dry eye is caused when the dog's immune system starts destroying it's tear producing glands. To counteract this, a immunosuppressive agent like cyclosporin is usually prescribed. Frequent treatment throughout the day with eye lubrication is also an important part of the treatment.

Here is a link with more information about how to treat dry eye. LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I try to order this it tell me that I need a prescription
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, you will need a prescription, but your vet should be able to provide that for you.