Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog is a 6 year old cocker spaniel that whines and snaps

Customer Question

My dog is a 6 year old cocker spaniel that whines and snaps at me when I touch under her chest. She was fine over the weekend and then all of a sudden early Sunday morning she whined when she tried to jump on the bed and couldn't get into my car. When I tried to help her she cried out and snapped at me. Could this just be a sprain or something?? She is a house dog and does not have a lot of activity outside.
JA: I'm trying to find the right Veterinarian for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maddie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddie?
Customer: No, that is it.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Given the breed one concern would be a problem with one of the disc's along the spine. Generally you will see that they stop climbing up steps or jumping on furniture and sometimes hiding from the owner. The fact that Maddie is snapping at you is a good indication of pain.

The disc has a pliable tissue that cushions the nerve and sometimes that tissue either over time or suddenly becomes hard which causes pain.

I would suggest that you see your vet and he may recommend a neurologist down the road, but he may be able to supply you with some pain meds now.

If you have to move her move her by crate so she is kept still and until you see your vet keep her quiet and still going out for potty reasons only. No jumping or climbing steps.

Here is more on IVDD and this can happen in the lower spine or neck area. IN some cases pain meds do not work and steroids may be tried.

I will also add this link which is a video

Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.