Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Our 2 yr old bulldog is usually very sedentary. 10 mins ago

Customer Question

hi, our 2 yr old bulldog is usually very sedentary. 10 mins ago he wanted to come in ( which is also unusual). When I opened the door - he came running in- full tilt for him. He went and sniffed every thing he could access. He then jumped up on the couch and would not let me not have my had on him.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bulldog?
Customer: hi, our 2 yr old bulldog is usually very sedentary. 10 mins ago he wanted to come in ( which is also unusual). When I opened the door - he came running in- full tilt for him. He went and sniffed every thing he could access. He then jumped up on the couch and would not let me not have my had on him.
JA: Where does the bulldog seem to hurt?
Customer: he doesnt seem to hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: No, he is typical bulldog, he deals with some allergy issues. He is now running around the house, up and off the couch and now is trying to destroy a blanket
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He then ran to the back door and started scratching and banging to go out again... he is a very sweet baby. This is excited behavior is totally unusal
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Since the only real symptom is a touch of hyperactivity. you will need to see if there is any poisonous plants or trees in the yard. Some can cause hyperactivity. Usually you see vomiting, nausea and diarrhea with poisoning but not always.

I have also seen this behavior from my dogs when they have been stung by a bee. The initial sting scares them a little and they often want to be with the owner but are leary of everything. Some will avoid sitting down if they were stung on the rear. It is also likely that the sniffing was to try and assure themselves that the offending bug wasn't in the house. Often there will be a localized swelling at the sting site.

If you suspect he may have been stung, you can give benadryl at a dosage of 1mg-2mg per pound every 8 hours to help with allergic reactions. Read more on insect stings and bites here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/features/allergic-reaction-to-insect-stings-in-dogs

If you do have toxic plants or trees in the yard, let me know.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We theorized then bee or wasp sting, however I see nothing that indicates that. This doesn't rule it out as he's a big rollly boy. We also thought he may have had a bad dream? He is a dreamer, it's quite cute.We don't have any toxic plants. I will watch him for any sign of a allergic reactions.He is always a little clingy, and seems to be back to normal.

On a dog, a bee sting or bite might not be readily visible with the coat. I usually will just administer the benadryl to be on the safe side. Most dogs handle stings without the need for benadryl but prevention can help prevent complications. At this point though you should have seen some signs of a reaction if he was going to have more than just a mild one. I'm glad he is back to normal.