PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 14 y/o pug has swelling with her right lip. It is very

My 14 y/o pug has swelling with her right lip. It is very thick and sags down. Had her to the vet last week when newly discovered. Was aspirated showed some white cells and indicative of infection. Has been on cephalexin and methylprednisolone finishes ATBs tomorrow. Lip is still swollen, firm, not overly hot, seems less painful, but definitely not returned to normal. What now?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Has a seizure disorder, on potassium bromide, Proin, levothyroxine, zantac. On prescription food for GI. Z/D Ultra is the dry food.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has the area improved?

How long was the course of meds?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When she finishes the ATBs tomorrow, it will be 10 days. It was 7 days for the steroids. It is improved maybe 20%, is definitely no worse and less tender to palpation, but still quite noticeable. She does not like it palpated (surprise).

Thanks for your reply.

It may take a longer course of antibiotics and even the steroids, as sometimes more well-seated problems can take as much as 21 days before major improvements are observed. Your vet may also wish to switch to a different antibiotic to see if this will help with healing.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your help. I'll call my vet.

You're quite welcome. Good luck!