Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

She's drinking water but not eating g much with a messy

She's drinking water but not eating g much with a messy stool (and not much of that).
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sabrina around 13 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sabrina?
Customer: She's not overweight. I switched her to canned food when this happened and she ate that with enthusiasm but has been mailed ly snubbing that since.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. That should read "mainly snubbing that since" sorry.

I'm sorry to hear that Sabrina isn't feeling well with scant, loose stools and a decrease in appetite.

What color are her mucous membranes (gums) and tongue? Bubblegum pink, white or very pale pink?

Does she seem to have a swollen abdomen?

Has she been drinking more that usual lately?

It is possible that she ate something she that didn't agree with her but because this has persisted and she is an older girl I do think you should keep a close eye on her.

Diarrhea can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to gall bladder disease, metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut. A mass (cancer) in the gastrointestinal tract can be the cause.

If she isn't eating much there won't be much ingesta to make stools, but because they are loose we do know that her gastrointestinal tract isn't normal.

Although I don't believe parasites are the whole trouble it is well worth having her veterinarian submit at least a couple fresh stool samples to the laboratory too as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently, not with every stool, and can cause loose stools. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.

For now though we can try some things at home.
Because her appetite is off and if stomach is gurgling she may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with her loose stools.
To try and settle her stomach today you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They can be given for several days if necessary as they have few side effects.

Today you can also start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 8-12 hours. This will coat her irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for a few days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

To perk her appetite offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous in her stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.
You can also add probiotics to her bland diet to replace the good bacteria lost with diarrhea. Good brand name products include Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac. They can be found online or at pet stores.

Once she feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.

If she is vomiting and continues feeling poorly though it would be best that she see her regular veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.

Please let me know if you have any further questions

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the suggestions. There's no swelling of her abdomen and her mouth looks pretty normal.

Very good, those are both positive signs.

But being an older girl if she isn't feeling much better with my suggestions a veterinary visit soon is best.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks.

You are very welcome. Please let me know how things go for her or if you have questions as you are trying my suggestions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She ate the hamburger with great enthusiasm but early this morning I awakened to find that she'd soiled the bed and vomited. I cleaned her and the bed up and took her the the Vet. She was, sadly, DOA.While I would like to have been holding her as she died I'm glad I was with her and that I didn't have to face the tough question of putting her down or not. I thank God for a great dog.Thanks for your help.

My deepest condolences on your loss, I am so very, very sorry.

Given her recent history and sudden passing I have to believe that she had an abdominal mass that was growing and taking up enough room or compressing her stomach enough that she simply didn't feel hungry once it got to a certain size. The mass likely started to bleed over night which led to a quick drop in blood pressure and shock, thus her inability to even get out of bed to eliminate and probably led to her vomiting too. A quick change in blood pressure often causes nausea.

I know that you will miss her tremendously, but it sounds like the end was fairly quick for her. And dogs in shock are often not very mentally aware, or feeling any pain. That is very fortunate for her.

With all of that I'm not sure how much could have been done for her even if you had taken her to be seen yesterday. There is something to be said for having your last memory that of being in your own bed.

Take care, and thank you for letting me know how things went for her, even though it wasn't how we would have hoped.