Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a small pug, she's 16lbs and she accidentally ate a

Customer Question

I have a small pug, she's 16lbs and she accidentally ate a small onion ring she is acting completely normal, but I don't know if I should bring her into the vet or not
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Coco, she is 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?
Customer: she has allergies and she takes atomic for them, but she is not allergic to any foods that I know of atopica
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, while onions can be toxic to dogs this is way below any toxic level. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation, Coco should be just fine.

2. I am glad to say that it actually takes quite a lot of onions to be toxic to dogs, the rule of thumb which I personally apply is that a single meal of one pound of onions can be dangerous to a 15 pound dog. { Which is quite a small dog }. But anything below that is fine.

3. However in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Coco's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Coco is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the onion ring ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Coco is doing great! She does not appear to have had any problems with it at all. Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.

Good news, I thought she would be OK.

Thanks for the update ...

Dr Scott