Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog had a liver ultrasound today after having high ALP

Customer Question

My dog had a liver ultrasound today after having high ALP levels and a bile acid test of 45. The vet said he saw tumors that would be relatively easy to access via surgery. I had thought he'd do a biopsy but he said that wasn't advised because it would be hard to determine whether they were cancerous and there was also a strong risk of bleeding. So he wants to go direct to surgery and I'm confused. Are there other questions I should be asking, other alternatives before surgery. My dog is 12 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: I can't think of anything.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Was the ultrasound performed by a specialist or a general veterinarian?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A specialist, a surgeon.

Sorry I was offline when you responded. You do have a couple of other options to discuss with the surgeon to see if it is practical. One is you can talk about having your dog's clotting ability tested to see how likely bleeding will be an issue. The other option to discuss is if any of these biopsies can be performed via ultrasound guidance. This involves the use of using an ultrasound to either guide a needle to obtain a sample or a biopsy tool. The advantage is that it does not require surgery though your dog still will need to be sedated or under anesthesia to have these procedures done.