Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My puppy has a round bone stuck on her lower jaw we can't

Customer Question

My puppy has a round bone stuck on her lower jaw we can't get it over her teeth
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zara
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zara?
Customer: She is 6 months old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Zara. The ham bone stuck on the mandible is something that I see at my ER about twice a year. How does it get on there and then be so difficult to get off??? IT is always a situation that perplexes me. Honestly, when I have one of these at my ER, we have to sedate them to then try and manipulate it at the correct angle to see if it will slip off. A lot of times there is some swelling to the jaw and it just doesn't want to come off so it has to be cut to remove it. The best thing that can be done is to get her to an ER clinic to give them the chance to manipulate it off or to cut it off. These are near impossible for an owner to get the right angle to get it off at home.