PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My 8 yr old shih Tzu has been treated for 8 months for an

HI. my 8 yr old shih Tzu has been treated for 8 months for an enlarged heart. He is on heart pill and Lasix and the cough is no better. Had one (expensive) xray an Dr. said that is it but I am wondering. He ets, poops, pees, walks but coughs most of the time. What to do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no but would that make him cough
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gizmo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gizmo?
Customer: no

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Did Gizmo ever see a cardiologist?
2) Was there any abnormality in the lung fields or trachea?
3) Do you have a video of him coughing?
4) Have you witnessed any improvement at all?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
saw regular Vet who said coughing was from an enlarged heart pushing on the improvement
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
no phone call please
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
are you still there
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
have I wasted my money as you are not responding

Im still here. It takes a few moments for your reply to come through.

Can you list for me the medications that he is taking, the frequency and milligram?

Has a recheck x-ray been performed?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
why am I not hearing from you

I have replied above, JA Customer.

Are you seeing my replies?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it all went away but I found re xray as $200.00 meds Lasix 20 BID enalapril 20 BID

If the heart is pushing the trachea into an unnatural position, this may be the cause of the coughing. Also, most veterinarians will use lasix when a dog is in congestive heart failure. If not enough lasix is used, coughing lay persist. A recheck exam (and probably an X-ray, too) may be indicated to see if there is any persistent congestion where the lasix might need to be increased or the medication regimen otherwise altered. You may also want to talk to your vet about a prescription cough suppressant to see if this helps.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thank you

Absolutely. I hope Gizmo is better very soon!