Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

He is an English bulldog and he constantly has diarrhea. I

Customer Question

he is an English bulldog and he constantly has diarrhea. I believe my mom who is 85 forcing him to eat all day long and now she is giving him milk
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the English bulldog?
Customer: constant diarrhea. should I give him pediaic what can I give him. he eat chicken breast that I boil maybe I should stop for a bit ?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the English bulldog?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

How long has he been having diarrhea?

When was the last time he was checked for parasites by the vet?

How long has she been giving him milk?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
off and on all the time, yesterday his stool was good but today he its bad, he hasn't been to the vet earlier this year. I think started yesterday. his stomach is gurling and he looks sick
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Because this has only been going on for a very short amount of time, and since from your answers, we can rule out things like ingestion of a toxin, intestinal obstruction due to eating something non-food, and pancreatitis from eating greasy people food, I think we should just treat it like a case of simple digestive upset.
The gold standard for treatment of digestive upset in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast him for 24 hours (providing he doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require he eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1-2 tablespoons every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the vomit, starts having bloody diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have him seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection, but as a general rule, this clears up with just the fasting and then bland diet.

And since many dogs are lactose intolerant, try to convince your mom not to give him any more...just plain dog food after the fasting.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he did have a little drop of blood in his poop this am it was like running water the poop like very 5 minutes he needed to go outside
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

That's not unusual when a dog has diarrhea. They can get tiny little tears in the rectum from the loose stool. As long as there's not more blood once his stool gets firm again, I woudln't worry.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa