Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a 8.5 lb Yorkie, last Thursday he stared to have the

Customer Question

I have a 8.5 lb Yorkie, last Thursday he stared to have the shakes not continually but often, especially when he inhaled. I took him to vet and he put him on phenobartial 1/2 pill at night (as he thought he was anxiety, he did experience some changes, new couch which he laid on all the time, now wants nothing to do with it and also he spent his afternoons with his grandma, who now has a part time job 3 days a week) after two does, he started to drink a lot more than normal and he had no desire to eat, I immediately took him back to vet and we stop the pheno. It is now day 4 without drug, he still drinks a lot, now eats a little bit of chicken, turkey breast, cheese or VetCal, he has made a bowel movement and urinates quite frequently because of his drinking more water then normal. He is still lethargic and is not his normal self which is very active and up to something all the time. It appears that each day he is better at times and then he shakes here or there and still not back to his normal self. Is this normal I'm deeply concerned this is my baby so any feedback you have I would be truly grateful for. Thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: NO, except he has taken his tempature 3 times and no fever
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since your little one is not running a fever and is still lethargic, i worry that he may an unstable disc in his back. This will cause lethargy and shaking with pain and an unwillingness to jump on things. Since he is eating some try giving him 1/2 baby aspirin every 12 hrs. This will reduce any inflammation that could be causing his pain and help him past this. In the meantime, do not allow him to jump up or down on anything or even climb stairs to help him heal. If there is no response after a day or so, have your vet run blood work since there are many other conditions that could cause this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta