Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 14 year old english bulldog. Yesterday and today at

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old english bulldog. Yesterday and today at almost the same time, she walks to the back door and begins to act like she is going to puke. Once outside, she continues into the grass and then just falls over. I try to help her up, but she struggles for several minutes. Once up again, she stands for several minutes and then comes back inside like nothing even happened. I've never seen this in her before and I am concerned due to her age. Any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bulldog?
Customer: No. She actually is in pretty good health for her age, besides arthritis, but currently is not even on any medications and seems happy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your bulldog. She appears to be experiencing syncopal ("fainting") episodes. These most often involve a precipitous drop in blood pressure which nauseates and would explain her "puking" behavior prior to her collapse. In ther great majority of patients, advanced cardiopulmonary disease is present and so it would be prudent to have her vet thoroughly examine your bulldog paying particular attention to her heart. I would expect her exam to include thoracic X-rays and EKG.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.