Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Warm nose and panting, Millie 3 years, She has a small sore

Customer Question

Warm nose and panting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Millie 3 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Millie?
Customer: She has a small sore on her front claw (the high inside one, like a thumb) she's been licking it a lot
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

What breed of dog is Millie?

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea?

How long has she been licking the paw?

Does she lick all of her paws?

I see you have gone offline and I will be online for just a short time more. If you can answer the questions above it would be helpful:)

What you can do in the mean time though to decipher if you have an emergency is to check the dogs vital signs as a warm nose does not indicate anything, however panting can mean pain.

Here is a link to take you through checking the vital signs :

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Millie is a3 y o blue heeler
She is extremely active
She has never been ill, except once when I think she was baited
She is not throwing up or has had diarrhoea as far as I can tell
She ate breakfast and dinner and was well until a couple hours ago
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 days ago.

Thank you for that information. As I said panting can be a sign of pain, but it is equally important that if you see lethargy to check the temperature rectally, don't go by a warm nose.

If she is active , eating and drinking normally without vomiting or diarrhea then I would not be too concerned at this point. If she was lethargic showing a lack of interest in everyday activities then it would be more worrisome.

Licking of the paw/ feet can be from stress, or it can be caused by allergies and allergies will have a dog lick the feet continuously.

To get the wound to heal I would invest in an Elizabethan collar or a Comfy Cone to limit access to the foot. A dog's mouth has much bacteria and this can quickly turn into a bacterial infected wound.

Wash the wound and apply a triple antibiotic ointment on it, one without zinc oxide, and keep the cone on until you see the wound has healed.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I think she maybe torn it slightly so antibiotic ointment is a good idea
I think she's a bit off due to it becoming infected maybe
She's an active girl but not nervous
She's never licked her paw ever
I will invest in a cone and some ointment for her
I think a visit to the local vet may be the answer in the morning and get her thoroughly checked for piece of mind
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 days ago.

That sounds like a good plan especially with a possible infection then oral antibiotics may be needed but they need to be prescribed. I wish Millie the best for a fast healing!

Expert:  Sally G. replied 14 hours ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.