Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My poor 6month old puppy has a barbed hook stuck in his

Customer Question

My poor 6month old puppy has a barbed hook stuck in his lip.... Due to being in a secluded area with no vet near by how do I put him to sleep so I can take it out before he gets an infection??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rex
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rex?
Customer: He's a small dog, about 20 lbs. he's very healthy
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Just to note, you will need to clip the barbed end off to get this out safely. Now in regards ***** ***** there are no Otc sedatives available to knock animals out. That said, you can try a high dose of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a dose of 2 mg per pound of his weight. Just as its a sleep aid for people, it can make dogs drowsy and this may be enough for you to get this out of his lip.Please take care,
Dr. B
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.