Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My dachshund is taking Nitrofurantoin - 25 mg for a urine

Customer Question

My dachshund is taking Nitrofurantoin - 25 mg for a urine bladder infection. She takes one tablet every 8 hours. Tonight at 10 p.m. I gave her a tablet and then I noticed she really didn't take all of the tablet so I gave her another tablet. Now I am concerned that she has taken too much of this medicine. I am curious if this is going to cause some serious effect because of it being maybe too much at one time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dachshund can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dachshund?
Customer: I am just concerned if this is too much medicine at one time. I don't want her to have convulsions or any other serious side effect because of too much medicine at one time. She weighs approx. 15 lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

As long as her kidney function is normal, she shouldn't have a problem with the extra tablet as is is rapidly absorbed and rapidly excreted via the kidneys. If her kidney function is not normal, there is more cause for concern and I recommend skipping her next dose or calling your vet tomorrow for their specific advice. zip her kidney function is normal, I would keep her on her regular schedule but do not administer additional doses in the future even if you are not sure how much of the dose she got. Over time, she can end up with toxic levels if the dose is increased on a more regular basis. Does this make sense? Was I able to address your concerns tonight?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

JACUSTOMER-zovnqpze-