PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She has thrown up, not interested in a treat, and I've

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: she has thrown up, not interested in a treat, and I've noticed her scooting her butt across the floor
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: nothing outside of her normal food
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: lola and 6 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about lola?
Customer: drinking lots of water

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did she last eat a normal meal?
2) Any diarrhea?
3) Any change in diet? new treats? human food?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
great thanks!
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
she's 6 months and eats 1 cup of food 3x a day. She had her normal three meals (royal canin golden retriver puppy). She ate an hour prior to throwing up. No diarrhea. No change in diet.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
prior to throwing up wasn't interested in playing, doesn't want anything now. This morning noticed her scooting her butt on the ground. Now she is drinking more water than usual

The scooting behavior may be linked to her anal glands needing to be expressed. Keep this in mind after this GI upset is over as our vet will need to check and express them. If she has not had a recent fecal exam, having this performed would also be wise to insure the behavior is not due to parasites. I can give you some steps to take at home, but if she is not back to herself in the morning she needs to see your vet for diagnostics and treatment.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the vomiting. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion?