PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog has been having diarrhea for past 2 days (many bouts)

my dog has been having diarrhea for past 2 days (many bouts) drinking water but not eating and now is vomiting thick white mucus...... he has enlarged heart with huge murmur and CHF.... he just had a bout of itching and vet found 1 lava and 1 flea but dog was going crazy with itching.... we tried Benadryl, atarax, and finally had to put him on prednisone.....he's on Lasix and we did increase that and he's tapering off the steroid....normally gets reglan QD but hasn't had in a few days do to not eating....any thoughts
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bubba
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bubba?
Customer: his heart is so big its narrowing his esophagus.... we know he doesn't have much time left and inspite of the N/V/D he is playing, drinking and acting normal....tail still wagging

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Knowing that Bubba has such substantial heart disease, he needs to be examined. Even just the vomiting episodes and mild dehydration are sometimes enough to decompensated an otherwise stable cardiac patient.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to try at home

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks yeah he normally has the Pepcid QD as well so we'll try to get that down him since he hasn't had any meds in a couple of days ..... as far as bland diet we are out of luck there cuz he is a rescue (abused for first 9 yrs ) eats no human food/ treats and even toys are new to him over the past 2 yrs since we've had him ....thanks for your imput

Sure thing. Good luck!