PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She has not eaten for two days, no bowel movements as well

She has not eaten for two days, no bowel movements as well for 2 days. She has been just lying down and not active as usual
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cassie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cassie?
Customer: Her stomach is hard not soft as usual

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any vomiting?
2) Any diarrhea before the no bowel movement?
3) How old is Cassie?
4) Any changes in diet? new treats? human food? bones?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
no
1 1/2 yrs

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No changes, we feed same dog food
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her tummy feels hard, not soft as usual. I took her on Sat quick check with a vet. But nothing out of the ordinary. Only her tummy

Did they prescribe any medication for her at the visit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No

That's unfortunate.

The hardness of her stomach definitely suggests that she is dealing with discomfort. I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to make the stomach feel better and then to give a bland diet with higher fiber for a few days. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet by tomorrow or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be rechecked by your veterinarian. Diagnostics may be needed, such as blood work, GI x-rays, barium series, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you

Absolutely. Happy to help!