PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog is a 9 year old afghan, healthy but lazy and hardly

My dog is a 9 year old afghan, healthy but lazy and hardly ever runs. Over the weekend I left her at her usual groomer/caretaker when I leave town and she played and ran two days. When I picked her up I noticed a slight rear limp and in the evening when I took her for a walk she was walking slower than usual but didn't seem to be in discomfort. This morning when I woke up she could not lift her rear legs and seems to have no strength but does not seem to be in pain. I did notice that she winced when I tried feeding her chicken stretched her neck town wards.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is your girl on any medications currently?
Any history of illness or injury?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she takes thyroid medication
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No history on illness

Her symptoms are suggestive of her being sore after a walk and she may simply be stoic about pain. The wincing that you observed is a pretty clear sign. At her age, this could be in any area including the neck, forelimbs, spine, hips, lower rear limbs and even the tail. I would recommend having her examined and talking to your vet about starting her on canine-safe NSAIDs. Your vet may wind up recommending x-rays to see if there are any abnormalities that cannot be seen from the outside. Now would also be a good time to start a glucosamine supplement, as well.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I will call my vet to have her checked. I appreciate your help.

Absolutely. Good luck!