Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Hard lump on jaw bone of 14 week old puppy. showed up all of

Customer Question

hard lump on jaw bone of 14 week old puppy. showed up all of a sudden, thought it was a bug bite, gave benedryl a week ago, bump is smaller, but still there. is very hard now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: duece he is a great dane the bump happened within 24 hours of recieving distemper and parvo vaccine
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: jus tthe vaccine part
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
puppy has no symptoms, not in pain, not tender when touching it. no fever, eats fine, still plays tug with other dogs.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Has this been present for a week?

Was it hard originally? Or soft, sore to the touch, or fluidy?

Is this on the inside margin of the jaw?

Does he have one on the other side?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a photo of this so I can see the lump and its location? To post online, you can use the paperclip button over your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it initially showed up all of a sudden after a vets appointment getting his vaccines. it at the time looked like a bug bite. on the lateral side of his left jaw. i will attache pics. i gave benedryl thinking he got bit by something. it is a week later, (never had any discomfort) and it is quite smaller (can't see in a photo) but i can feel it and it feel hard now. gums are pink it is not the same bilaterally.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now we could see lymph nodes enlarge in response to a vaccination, but the location of the lump is wrong for that. It is also positioned in such a manner that we can put concerns of salivary gland issues lower on our differential list. Instead, an allergic reaction is reasonable suspicion but an abscess, hematoma, and soft tissue inflammation would be our other concerns. And since this has been present for a week, I'd note that an abscess would be our top clinical suspicion (where the reduction in size may be the soft tissue inflammation settling). In young dogs, we usually see these with microtrauma to the skin where skin based bacteria are able to infiltrate and cause infection.

With this in mind, we are likely going to need antibiotics from his vet in this case. Though as the photo is blurry and I am concerned that this may be giving me a skewed (bigger) appreciation of the size of the remaining lump, so I would note that we could warm compress this lump to exclude those other differentials on the mend. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas and allergic reactions to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Though again if you do that a few times over the next 24 hours and its not settling, then a check for an abscess would be indicated.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
would an abscess be hard ? like bone? that is how it feels now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

They can be very firm such that it is difficult to differentiate. As well, if the bacteria infiltrate the bone (causing osteomyelitis) then it will feel like bone.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.