Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

MY 12 YEAR OLD MINI POODLE JUST HAD 8 TEETH PULLED BECAUSE

Customer Question

MY 12 YEAR OLD MINI POODLE JUST HAD 8 TEETH PULLED BECAUSE THEY WERE IN BAD SHAPE. SHE ALSO HAD AN INFECTION IN HER MOUTH. THE DOCTOR CLEANED HER TEETH AND SHE HAS HEALED. BUT HER BREATH IS JUST AS BAD AS IT WAS BEFORE THE TEETH WERE PULLED AND CLEANED. I BRUSH HER TEETH EVERY DAY AND STILL HAVE THE VERY BAD SMELL. WHAT ARE OUR OPTIONS??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

What does she smell like? Pus, fruity, ammonia?

Did her vet check any bloods before anesthesia?

Does she drink quite a bit or pass watery urine?

Can you confirm her teeth are now tarter free?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HER BREATH SMELLS LIKE FISH OR LIKE DEATH. SHE DRINKS ALOT OF WATER. HER VET SAID SHE HAS GINGIVITIS. YES SHE HAS HER BLOOD DRAWN BEFORE ANESTHESIA. I BELIEVE SHE IS TARTER FREE. I AM GOING TO TAKE HER AND HAVE HER TEETH LOOKED AT IN A WEEK.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now I am quite concerned to hear that she has such unpleasant breath and drinks a lot. The reason is because we can often see those 2 signs with kidney disease in older dogs. And while we'd hope her kidney function was good before the anaesthesia (the blood results can be reviewed to make sure), if this is still ongoing you may need them to recheck those kidney parameters (especially in case they were borderline and the anaesthesia has worsened this) +/- test a urine sample (since early stage kidney disease can usually be caught on urine sample even if the bloods are normal) when you have her seen.

Otherwise, I would note that further to oral causes for bad breath, we can see similar signs with dogs that have lung infections or gut issues (since air from both exit the body via the mouth). Therefore, we'd want her vet to check those organs as well. If there is any indication of lung based infection/pneumonia, then antibiotics may be indicated. Or with gut based odors, it can help to treat them with OTC canine probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) and use OTC activated charcoal (200-500 mg daily) to bind any odors in the stomach. But again if she is drinking a lot we do need to question if this and the breath are related and would want to have her vet check for early stage kidney issues as a cause for these signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

Dr. B.