Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He has nasal cancer. A year ago had 19 treatments radiation,

Customer Question

He has nasal cancer. A year ago had 19 treatments radiation
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey
JA: How old is Bailey?
Customer: 10 He is our 3rd golden. My grandkids luv him to death
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?
Customer: I am just looking for articles to see what to expect as he goes forward. Starting to sneeze more, green discharge
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bailey. His prognosis is predicated upon tumor type (dogs with sarcomas generally live longer than those with carcinomas), clinical stage of tumor at time of treatment, and total dose of radiation delivered to the entire tumor. The median survival ranges from 8-31 months with radiation therapy. Treatment of nasal tumors with definitive curative-intent radiation therapy, with possible survival of as little as 8 months, may seem irrational. Most dogs, however, have survivals of ~1 year. Modern approaches to radiation therapy have led to decreased side effects, and most dogs tolerate therapy and have a good quality of life after therapy. Consider the use of piroxicam (COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitor) which may give some relief from his current clinical signs for 4 months or longer. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I was looking for articles to read about this disease.Rod
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 days ago.

Which cancer has been diagnosed, Rod?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 day ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 5 hours ago.
Unfortunately the diagnosis was carcinomas. He was diagnosed about one year ago. The growth in his nose is getting bigger again. I believe that he has lost his eyesight in the eye on the side of the cancer. The radiation was pretty tough on him. He had 19 treatments. We spent several days after the treatment process helping him recover. He is starting to sneeze again much more. His breath is getting very fowl once again. My question is around what to expect in the process. I know his time is limited, however, what should I look for in the months to come. I can say he still prances with his daily walks. Loves to be outside watching birds!
Customer: replied 5 hours ago.
I am looking for something to read about going forward.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 hours ago.

Let me see if I can find some scholarly articles concerning nasal carcinoma.

To answer you directly, every day is a gift at this time. He should be hospiced on a potent narcotic such as morphine or buprenorphine. You can expect progressive sneezing with epistaxis (blood). His face may become quite disfigured before the final kindness is performed. Metastasis to his lungs may be evidenced by an increased respiratory rate (greater than 30 breaths/minute while he's at rest or asleep) and coughing. Metastasis to his brain may result in seizures. Curiously, my daughter's dog went through this and so I'm relating symptoms that appear first-hand.