Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Took him to the er vet and X-rays looked good other than

Customer Question

Took him to the er vet and X-rays looked good other than usual amounts of stool and had gas in stomach with very sensitive and painful belly. He was shaking and panting and walking backwards then just sat down in grass like he wanted to have BM but couldn't. His anal glands were full which she released and we went home on rimadyl. Few hours later and his symptoms worsened. He wasn't moving much but ca
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Could walk, very guarded and I decided to take him back in . His rear leg seems very unsteady and as if he can't use it well. He wouldn't come up my stairs his morning either but I didn't think much of it at first. He's an 11 yr old dachshund with no previous back or disc issues. He plays a lot with my daughters dog who is bigger and they run around in the yard and he thinks he's 2 again so I always worry about him hurting his back After my second visit to the er vet she gave him an injection of buprenorphine for pain along with his rimadyl twice a day. He's resting comfortably now but I can see from him walking when we got home that the rear leg buckled or the foot but it seemed very unsteady and he can't lift his leg and stand alone on that leg without tipping to that side so I'm thinking he hurt it and it's muscular or it's a disc issue. He's resting now next to me and seems content. I gave him half of a gas ex as the vet told me to in hopes that would help with the gas in his belly. My question is how can you tell between a muscle or disc injury? I will follow up with my regular vet tomorrow but I wanted to know if treat
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?
Customer: sorry I keep hitting send button without being done. Will the treatment be the same for a muscle or disc injury?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 12 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

IVDD is common in short legged and long bodied dogs. In these dogs it can be as simple as a wrong tun can affect the spine. Generally to check for this issue a series of X rays are initially done on the spine, as well as a Neurological exam. Sometimes the Vet will suggest an MRI. As far as treatment it can range from strict cage rest to laser treatments, Physical therapy and in worst case scenario, surgery. The will start the dog off with Pain Medications and anti inflammatories to go along with crate rest. For Muscle issues, rest and a muscle relaxer is usually the treatment as well as Physical therapy.

When you see your regular Vet he can do the exam and Xrays and get an idea of what is going on. He may in some instances recommend a Veterinary Neurologist.

Please let me know if you have questions on this information by hitting Reply. My Goal is to give you excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating so I can be compensated for my time and answers.

Expert:  Joan replied 11 days ago.

I am checking in on your dog to see how he is doing andnif the Vet found a spinal issue. I hope my information was helpful for you. Please let me know