How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PitRottMommy Your Own Question
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 4539
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164
Type Your Dog Question Here...
PitRottMommy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog tore open a single use chemical hand warmer. It had

This answer was rated:

My dog tore open a single use chemical hand warmer. It had already been used. It doesn't appear that he ingested much of it. He is a 7 month old black lab, 60 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Radar
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Radar?
Customer: No. He is in good health and is an active Hunting dog. He isn't showing any adverse reactions right now.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you still have the remaining contents of the warmer? Do you know the brand name?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is a heat factory brand warmer

Do you still have the remaining contents of the warmer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I still have some of the contents, and the outside wrapper. Most is still in my rug lol.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's said it contains iron powder

Excellent.

Most of these contents are inert once the warmer is used, but we do worry about iron toxicity. I am going to include a video I would like you to watch. They will show you how to run a magnet over the area to pick up iron particles. Please report back your findings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQJAgEE7ae4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The powder is black and some does stick to a magnet.

There is a concern for iron toxicity, then, unfortunately. Now, a very small consumption may result in no symptoms at all but because there's no certainty on how much he did eat it would be wise to err on the side of caution and have him examined and treated, just in case. Iron toxicity can be lethal. You can see an overview of symptoms here: http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/toxicology-brief-toxicity-iron-essential-element?id=&sk=&date=&pageID=3 His symptoms could range from nothing at all to death, but given his size I would expect this to be a more mild to moderate toxicity if he had only a small amount.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have talked with his primary vet and will be observing tonight and taking him in for a blood draw in the morning just to make sure. Thank you for the info. Have a good evening.

You, too. I hope he does well. Good luck!

PitRottMommy and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you