Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

She is a 4 month old golden puppy. She is having trouble

Customer Question

She is a 4 month old golden puppy. She is having trouble pooping. Just started this afternoon. She keeps trying, but nothing comes out. She is peeing sometimes. She seems hungry, but I haven't fed her since this started. She is drinking water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mickey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mickey?
Customer: This happened to another of our puppies, and the vet recommended laxatone. Mickey is showing less energy than she normally does.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi jaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Has she ingested any foreign objects?

Has she vomited at all?

I was hoping to get a response back before supplying you with an answer. I've been breeding for 20+ years so puppies are an area I am more than just Familiar with.

It could be that the pup became a little dehydrated and her fecal matter became a little firmer than normal and thus she is a bit constipated. Be sure and read the important note below before trying any of these methods. If your dog is experiencing constipation on a regular basis you should add roughage to her diet such as canned pumpkin (not pie filling kind) or Metamucil. A spoon full of pumpkin on the dog's food should keep her bowels hydrated and her feces soft enough to pass.

A one time use of a spoon of mineral oil on his food can also be used but should not be used all the time. There are two methods I use for young puppies which are effective on older dogs as well. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help. Both of these methods usually help a dog expel any fecal matter there.

You can use an infant’s glycerin suppository depending on the size of your dog but the other methods are what I recommend you try first.

IMPORTANT NOTE If your dog ate a non-food item, bone or rawhide recently or if your dog is experiencing other symptoms such as vomiting, not eating or drinking, severe abdominal pain, the dog needs to see a vet and not treatment for constipation.. The above signs could indicate an intestinal obstruction, which you can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

if your dog becomes dehydrated. You can tell by pulling up the skin between his shoulder blades and seeing if it flows back down normally. If it stays tented or is slow to return to normal, your dog is dehydrated and needs fluids immediately and should see a vet as soon as possible.

If gums and tongue become pale and not a normal pink color or the rectal temperature is over 103F (101-102F is normal) or your dog becomes lethargic and non-responsive, your dog should also see a vet as soon as possible.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

Just a quick followup to see how Mickey is doing? Did my suggestions for constipation relief help? Was my answer helpful to you?