PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog is 14 years old and has consistently had trouble

My dog is 14 years old and has consistently had trouble walking due to arthritis. Over the last 2 days he's stopped walking altogether & has swelling in his back legs & one front leg. His testicles are swollen too. He's eating (wet food) & drinking a lot of water. But we have to give it to him he won't try to stand up. Has not gone to the bathroom at all. I'm really concerned. We've been giving him glucosamine asnkr
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds that I can see but even with a muzzle on he tries to bite me. I figured since it's more than one leg swollen it's something more serious.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He has had some white/clear fluid some out of the corner of his eyes. He has a fever, not sure how high. He's very lathargic and we've been giving him 1 325mg Bufferin every 10-12 hours to try and help with the swelling & pain. He's rather miserable.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was the last time that your companion was evaluated by a veterinarian?
2) When was blood work last run?
3) Any problems with ticks in your area?
4) How much does your companion weigh/What breed is he?
5) Are you able to obtain a rectal temperature from him?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's been quite awhile since he's been to the vet, I'd say a few years. We do have ticks occasionally but he has really thick hair & I have never seen one on him. I take them off my cat a few times a year. He is about 60 lbs now. German Shepard crossed with a Travern (he's a retired police dog). Not able to get a temperature.

I think you've done all you can do at home without diagnostics, I'm afraid. Aspirin should also only be given, at maximum, every 12 hours. If he has not improved with aspirin alone, it's likely that prescription medications will be a better choice for him (canine safe NSAIDs, pain management, etc). Unfortunately, it's very likely given his age that the limb swelling is due to something other than just arthritis. We must consider underlying concerns like heart disease, high blood pressure, infection, etc. The fact that he has not produced urine or stool in regular intervals makes me worry underlying organ dysfunction might be to blame such as kidney failure. He's also rather uncomfortable, as we know, with him not wanting/not able to rise and offering to bite if handled.

If you cannot get him up and to the vet, consider contacting a mobile service to come to you. They work with even aggressive dogs who might be in a condition such as this. Bloodwork and x-rays are offered by some mobile services and they should be able to take a temp and determine how abnormal it is. From this, they will be able to suggest treatment on what can and should be done for him.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for the information. Have a good day.

You, as well.