Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

She peed and had a string of, she is 11 years old,,

she peed and had a string of slime
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: she is 11 years old,, arthricic, partially blind and deaf. Having touble standing and walking plus that is what I found after she peed
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: daisha
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about daisha?
Customer: she has little appetite and weakness in her back legs and worried it may be time to put her down

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok Thank you

I am sorry to hear that Daisha seems to be pass a string of slime after urinating. I understand that also has trouble walking, standing, is partially blind and deaf, and is eating poorly.

The gel is likely mucous, which likely indicates urinary tract inflammation.

If she has an increased frequency of urination and increased drinking that also likely indicates inflammation.

Urinary tract inflammation can indicate an infection, but can also be due to increased crystals in the urine, or calculi or a mass in the urinary tract. In her case with her difficulties standing and likely squatting to urinate she may not be able to fully empty her bladder and that can predispose to secondary infections as well as crystals and calculi (stones) forming.

Her poor appetite may be due to an infection, or indicate organ failure.

I know that you might prefer home therapy suggestions but truthfully all things that may be behind her symptoms need veterinary intervention, especially if we are dealing with calculi or a mass or organ failure.

All you can do for her at home is encourage fluid intake to flush out her urinary tract. Add water or low salt beef or chicken broth to her food and feed her canned food.

Give her ice cubes. Offer her fresh water frequently. Some dogs drink more from a fresh, moving water source so a doggy drinking fountain may help.

And make sure she gets out frequently to urinate.

If she is straining but unable to pass urine, is vomiting or completely refuses to eat, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure it is time for emergency veterinary care.

It may be that her multiple problems may not be addressed to the point that she can return to a good quality of life. In that case it may be time for humane euthanasia. Or it may be with antibiotics and medications to address her weakness and pain Daisha may achieve a happy, comfortable life for a period of time.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you we will be taking her to a vet tomorrow

You are very welcome.

Please let me know how things go for her, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara