Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My 3 month old boxer has developed (almost overnight) a

Customer Question

My 3 month old boxer has developed (almost overnight) a soft, mushy lump on top of his head. It doesn't seem to hurt him when touched. I am a bit concerned. Any thoughts?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: His general,health has been excellent and he is up to date on all shots.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

At this age, the most common cause of a lump like you describe would be an abscess. An abscess form when a puncture wound occurs and bacteria enters the wound. The outer skin heals and the bacteria multiplies under the skin creating a pocket of pus. It can take a couple of weeks for the abscess to form though some come up quicker. These puncture wounds can occur from an adult that nips at a dog, a cat, or nail or any injury that punctures the skin. You can read about abscesses here:

Sometimes an abscess will rupture and start draining. Your vet will likely drain the abscess and prescribe an antibiotic such as amoxicillin. In the meantime, you can apply warm compresses for 5 minutes or so a few times a day to help promote healing until you can have your vet check the area.

Now there are other causes for lumps but in a pup this age, an abscess is the most common cause. You can read about other lumps here:

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 days ago.

Hi again,

Just following up to see how your puppy is doing. Did your vet lance it and clean it out? Is he recovering? Did you find my answer helpful?