Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Snuggles hurt his shoulder juming out of my car was put on

Customer Question

Snuggles hurt his shoulder juming out of my car was put on prednisone 20mg for 2 days then 10mg for 2 days which he is one the first day of 10mg. All night last night (x4) he had inconvenience episodes I'm worried because he's 14 1/2 this will be a possible permanent issue
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No just that he's old was on carprophen prior to for arthritis that was stopped for the pred run
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

I'm assuming your mean that he had incontinence issues?

How is he acting otherwise?

Does he have access to a waterbowl at all times?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
incontinence issues he's drinking alot panting alot also he has complete access to water and drinks alot
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Okay...great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

One of the side effects to Prednisone is an increased thirst. And of course, the more they drink, the more they have to urinate.

So if this were me, I'd limit his access to the water bowl until he's done with the Prednisone. You can offer a cup or so every hour, and I would stop giving him water a couple hours before you go to bed for the night. Of course, you should also let him out right before bed, to allow him to empty his bladder.

Between limiting his water intake and stopping the water before bed, and you shouldn't have any more issues. Once he's off the Prednisone, then you can go back to allowing him to have free access to his water bowl.

I hope this helps.