Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She is panting periodically, then stops. Eating and drinking

Customer Question

She is panting periodically, then stops. Eating and drinking normally, head lies low and moving very slowly. Stares at walls.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stella, Silver Lab 6 years old. Spent three nights at the emergency room about a month ago, they did blood, urine and X-rays couldn't find anything wrong with her. She was on antibiotics for 10 days then seemed to get better. First symptom was backing up and hunching her back...temp normal
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?
Customer: Just told you everything I know thus far.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Here fever while at the emergency went to 108, hovered at 105 for 2 days then returned to normal
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Stella. The most important clue is her staring at walls. Often seen in conjunction with aimless wandering and circling, such staring indicates encephalopathy (brain disorder). It's unclear to me whether or not her extreme fever was another symptom of encephalitis or the fever caused brain damage and a current encephalitis. I might conjecture that her backing up and hunching her back indicated spinal meningitis. Stella will need the attention of a specialist veterinary neurologist (please see here: who is best equipped to perform a complete neurologic exam including testing in the form of cerebrospinal fluid analysis and MRI.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.