Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Restless, belly is gurgling can't lie down but for a min.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoey
JA: How old is Zoey?
Customer: a little over a year
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoey?
Customer: At night when we go to bed she starts licking her female part and get whinny and aggressive sort of
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Has Zoey had any straining to pass urine or changes to how much urine she passes and how often?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No straining, no gagging or any of that,no discomfort. gums are alittle pale sticky. She licks everything and was licking the porch yesterday
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Thank you,

Now if she is licking everything with a gurgly belly, I suspect she is nauseous. Her genital licking did raise worries of bladder infections but usually we will see changes to their urinary habits. So, with that aside, we would want to focus on Zoey's belly at this point. Of course, if those gums are much paler then usual or she could have ingested something harmful, we'd want her seen urgently.

Otherwise, we can try some steps at home to soothe her stomach. To start, we can try to reduce that gurgly nauseous induced belly sign with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Afterwards, we can plan to feed small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the upset gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, Zoey's signs suggest a mild gut upset which could be due to a dietary indiscretion if she is picking up or licking things she shouldn't but could be a sign of a brewing gut infection. So, we'd want to start the above but keep a close eye on her. If she doesn't settle over the weekend, then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )