Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I came home to find a black sludge bowel movement from my

Customer Question

I came home to find a black sludge bowel movement from my 14yo, 45lb husky...I searched for something she ingested but the garbage was not opened...unlike her! But I noticed a cpl "crumbs" of what looked like pills last night but didn't think anything of it. I take 800 mg for my torn rotator but I can't tell if that could be it. I'm clutzy, I could have dropped a cpl last cpl days and not thought of it, due to managing my pain...should I call the vet emergency number? I don't want my baby girl suffering! She seemed lethargic, but ate dinner, drank little and took her on a short walk. She's been restless all night but is now sleeping...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the will be able to digest that. How old is the?
Customer: Shes 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the?
Customer: No, she just had a physical...shes getting old, of course, and her hips bother her but shes been peppy till last night...figured she was tired...ate throughout the day
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What is the drug you are taking that is 800mg?

How many tablets would she have gotten?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr B!It was ibuprofen and I would say 2 at the most! She lets me push on her belly, gums are not pale.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Gums are pink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now I share your concerned about your lass.

Ibuprofen is quite dangerous for dogs as it can cause bleeding stomach ulcers which as the blood is digested will turn the stool black. So, this is what I suspect has happened (though if it was only 2, we'd be less worried about the kidney damage potential of this drug). Of course, there is always a risk that is a red herring and other causes for bleeding in the gut can be foreign body ingestion, and stomach or intestinal tumors.

With all this in mind, we do need to be proactive and aggressive in helping your gal (especially since we cannot see into her bleeding stomach to tell us if there is an ulcer about to perforate the stomach). Therefore, if possible, it would be ideal to get her to the vet urgently. They can confirm the severity here and start her on some oral gastroprotectants (ie sucralfate) to coat any open stomach lesions, GI safe pain relief (ie bupenorphine, etc), and anti-vomiting medication to make sure she keeps eating (since an empty stomach means there is nothing for the stomach acid to digest but the stomach itself). Furthermore, they can fully examine her to ensure there is nothing else afoot

If you cannot get her to the vet immediately, then I would say to at least consider treating her with an antacid to lower the stomach acid pH. Common pet safe options we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). You will want to give these 20 minutes before offering food and under the circumstances you will want to treat every 8 hours. Of course, if she cannot even keep this down then injectable anti-vomiting and ulcer medication would be needed.

Overall, I am quite concerned about the signs you are seeing . They are tell us that we have an upper GI bleed that could be a sign of a stomach ulcer and Ibuprofen can certainly do that at such a high dose. Therefore, it would be ideal to get her checked right away. If there is any delay in doing so, then do treat her with an antacid now and keep a close eye on for any emergency signs (ie belly pain or paling of her gums).

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you! I will call our vet on ER, being it is Sun and see if they will see her! She's a tough gal but she's old and I don't want her feeling such awfulness! My appreciation!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a perfect plan of action to just address this for her and get her comfortable.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )