Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

3 weeks old puppies and they have diarrhea, Several of my 3

Customer Question

3 weeks old puppies and they have diarrhea
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Several of my 3 weeks old puppies have diarrhea
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: They are puppies and they seem dont hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: I dont have a name on them they are beagles
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about on?
Customer: Well the mother must eat something she should have
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Have you dewormed mom or the pups yet?

have you started to wean the pups?

Did mom have an unusual treat in the last couple of days?

I was hoping to get a response back, but don't want you waiting too long for an answer. It is also getting late where I am located. Diarrhea can be caused by a lot of different things. Mom could have ingested something that went into the milk and led to diarrhea. However, almost all pups have worms and worms do cause diarrhea. Mom and puppies should be dewormed starting at 2 weeks of age and repeat it every 2 weeks until the pups go to their new homes.

In addition, it is time to start weaning the pups. When the pups start eating puppy food (watered down until the food puffs up), they are likely to experience constipation, so you will want to be prepared for that. Mom will also stop cleaning up after them when weaning starts.

So I would start the weaning process and deworm mom and the pups and you should see any diarrhea clear up. If it doesn't, you will need for your vet to check the pups for a protozoan infection like coccidia or giardia.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.