Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Dog may have eaten 2 aleve pills like 10 minutes ago. 7

Customer Question

Dog may have eaten 2 aleve pills like 10 minutes ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cooper 7 month aussie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about aussie?
Customer: About 40 lbs
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How many milligrams are each aleve tablet?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
220 mg

At 40 pounds, your dog can take as little as 180mg to be at risk for kidney failure. At 440mg, Cooper has taken more than enough for this to be a toxic amount. I would highly recommend that you take him promptly to the ER and have treatment started. Failing this, you will need to induce vomiting and have Cooper to see your vet tomorrow morning as soon as they open.

To induce vomiting, use hydrogen peroxide in a bottle that is FRESH. Follow these directions:

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion today?