Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 60 pound lab puppy just ate trident with aspartame, also

Customer Question

My 60 pound lab puppy just ate trident with aspartame , also got into a bottle of 500 mg Tylenol. ( by counting prob could have ate 2. Is this anything to be concern about?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: She seems to be acting fine at this point.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have you witnessed any vomiting?

When did the ingestion occur?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No, she seem normal right now.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She is alert at this point.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Probably ingested both about An 1 1/2 hour ago. Not sure exactly when. I found it about 15 min ago.

Luckily, she is well below the dosage where we see liver problems. Many dogs in this dosing range only have an upset stomach, if they show signs at all. You may see some vomiting or diarrhea. The gum with aspartame is not toxic, we'd be more concerned if it contained xylitol.

You also have time to induce vomiting if you want to avoid concerns with the ingestion. If so, use a FRESH bottle of hydrogen peroxide and follow the instructions here:

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?