Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is currently on denamarin. He has what I believe to

Customer Question

My dog is currently on denamarin. He has what I believe to be post nasal drip from sinuses issues. Can I give him quercetin with bromelian while on denamarin? If not, what might you suggest?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: My dog is currently on denamarin. He has what I believe to be post nasal drip from sinuses issues. Can I give him quercetin with bromelian while on denamarin? If not, what might you suggest?
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He's coughing and has had chronic sinuses issues for years.
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jasper, he is almost 14.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?
Customer: We think he has a polyp in his sinuses which has caused chronic sinuses infections over the last 5 years. He has had a minor cough for over a year now, until the last few weeks. Im thinking post nasal drip but not certain. He's also been diagnosed with collapsing trachea. He is currently taking denamarin. Not sure what to give for this cough. I have an appt with vet on Wednesday but this cough is keeping him and me up at night. He also seems extremely hungry, more so than usual. He's on a homemade diet. What can I give him for cough?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Actually, we'd not want to use Bromelian for a dog with liver issues or one that is on Denamarin as this can stress the liver. The only safe cough suppressing option would be plain honey or honey/glycerin cough syrup (with no other drugs in it).

Otherwise, if he has nasal/sinus signs, we can find steam treating of benefit. To do this, you can take Jasper in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, we can often make little ‘steam tents’ using a dog crate, a humidifier, and a light bed sheet or by using the humidifer in small room.

To reduce potentially building up mucus running down the throat, you can also try OTC saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses) but not anything medicated. Tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Again they hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. And once he is seen, you can speak to his vet about anti-inflammatories and dog decongestants to ease this for Jasper.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.