PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Dog ate dried pepper from fall wreath. Will he be fine?

My dog ate a bite of dried pepper out of my fall wreath. Everything is edible to humans but he is a 10 month old puppy and has had a little diarrhea. He has gone 3 times in about a 4 hour period. Just making sure he is not in any danger.

What kind of pepper was this and when was it consumed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Red chili pepper. Just a 1/3 inch piece of it. Yesterday morning. He's still got a hearty appetite. No signs of sickness.

This should cause no major effects aside from a GI upset. Adding some pure canned pumpkin to the meals may help resolve the diarrhea faster. Within the 3 days following consumption, the diarrhea should be fully cleared. If you note vomiting, blood in the stool, not wanting to eat or drink, etc. your companion should be examined and treated by a vet. Otherwise, the diarrhea should be self-limiting.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. It was the only thing I could think of that might be causing it. I'll keep you posted.

I'll keep an eye out for future posts. Good luck!