Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Week old kennel cough that transformed in to a gurgle this

Customer Question

week old kennel cough that transformed in to a gurgle this morning. Two year old healthy border collie.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the Border collie's name and age?
Customer: Mobes, two years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mobes?
Customer: no, just a gurgling kennel cough. No discharge or fever
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What treatment, if any, has Mobes been on for the last week?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No treatment, just monitoring his energy and appetite, which has been normal. I am concerned the new gurgle may indicate a secondary bacterial lung infection. Should he be treated with antibiotics? I have Keflex.

He should. I have not observed much efficacy from keflex when used for kennel cough as it seems to be more ideal for skin problems. I would recommend not only an exam, but chest x-rays to be sure this has not progressed into pneumonia, which is not uncommon with kennel cough. Azithromycin or Doxycycline are my two favorite antibiotics when it comes to effective treatment of secondary infections due to kennel cough. Your vet may also recommend a prescription cough suppressant.

Failing this, you can find the dosage here for Keflex and it should be given for at least 5 days following the resolution of symptoms. Some dogs require as much as 21 days of medication. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=c6d8774a-86bc-4942-a516-6ed5b9d39c51

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?