Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Have a rescue who we put on Doxycyline 100mg for upper

Customer Question

Have a rescue who we put on Doxycyline 100mg for upper respiratory infection kennel cough. She is now having urination accidents in house when she was not before taking the Doxycyline. We were going to try to let it run it course without antibiotics but the cough was driving us crazy. Is it possible the Doxycyline would cause increased thirst
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 1 year & and we call her puppy now. She's seen the vet twice and everything has checked out fine She was doing so good on her house training until we started the doxycline so I was wondering if that was a side effect from that. They also gave me torbutrol to use for cough but only used 2 times
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about 1 year?
Customer: She is about 1 years old and her name is ***** ***** now
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of these problems with Puppy. To answer you directly, no, the adverse effect profile of doxycycline is gastrointestinal - vomiting, diarrhea, and inappetence, mainly. Polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyuria (increased volume of urine) aren't expected. Instead, we need to consider both medical and behavioral problems. A simple bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) needs to be ruled out by her vet who will obtain urine by cystocentesis (percutaneous aspiration of Puppy's bladder through her abdominal wall) and then perform a complete urinalysis. If there's no evidence of a UTI, potty training will need to be revisited.

A UTI is usually addressed with 10-14 days of a broad spectrum antibiotic and then the urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of therapy is completed to make sure that Puppy's urinary tract has been sterilized. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.