Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My terrier mix didn't want to eat breakfast this morning

Customer Question

Hi, my terrier mix didn't want to eat breakfast this morning then approximately 6 hours later is vomiting a pinkish colored foamy mucus. Any ideas what this might be? Thank you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your terrier eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of. I feed him Tiki Dog canned food and that smelled fine.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is approximately 5 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nacho?
Customer: No, he's otherwise healthy.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Nacho is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Episodes of vomiting are quite common in the dog and most cases are not so serious, actually it is often difficult to work out the precise cause of the vomiting but there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners try before getting their local vet involved. These can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort. Here are some examples below .

2. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

3. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

4. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance, the amount you give depends on the size of the dog, one teaspoon twice a day is fine for toy breeds ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

5. Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Nacho's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much! I will try a combo of Pepto and a break from his food for 24 hours. Appreciate the help :)

No problem, glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Nacho is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his vomiting issues ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.