Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Pseudomonas is a very nasty bacteria that tends to be resistant to a lot of antibiotics. It is usually an opportunistic infection, so it typically develops after chronic infections. It is also a bacteria that is big concern with infections caught in hospitals. We tend to see it most commonly in chronically infected ears. Marbofloxacin tends to be an antibiotic that it is susceptible to, but resistance to that antibiotic is very easy to achieve. It tends to also be resistant to aminoglycoside antibiotics, such as gentamicin and amikacin. These are injectible antibiotics only and do carry a concern for kidney toxicity. The good news is that they can be used in nebulizers to achieve higher doses to the respiratory tract and less so in the blood stream and kidneys. That may be the way to go with this infection. I would wait until the antibiotic sensitivity results come back before starting anything. If sensitive to marbofloxacin again, I would also start on round of that as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
You can put the gentamicin and amikacin in the nebulizer. It will give higher concentrations of the drug to the area that needs it. They usually given as injections but carry a risk for kidney damage. Not so with the nebulizer. The infection may have been sensitive to the marbofloxacin before, but these bacteria can adapt and become resistant. Even though it is a strong antibiotic, bacteria can easily become resistant to that class of antibiotics. As mentioned previously, I am not set up to do phone calls. I can opt out to see if another expert can fulfill that request, or we can continue the conversation online. Hope this helps.
Well, it can be caught in hospitals, but it is ubiquitous in the environment. It is a bacteria that tends to invade when there is already chronic damage from other bacteria or a lowered immune system, but it tends to be very resistant to a lot of antibiotics if it causes an infection. When people develop infections from hospitals, it tends to be one of the bacteria that causes that. Hope this helps.
Hello. I was following up to see how your Yorkie is doing and to see if you have any further questions.
Thanks for the update. I would ask about using a nebulizer with gentamicin or amikacin if that is an option based on the culture and sensitivity results. Let me know if you have further concerns.
One or the other. It may depend on what they have in the hospital as well.
I would use both of them together. An oral antibiotic that gets more systemic and antibiotic in the nebulizer that gets concentrated at the site of the infection. Hope this helps.
For his size, I would probably use 35-50 mg of gentamicin in 3-4 ml of sodium chloride. I have also heard of some vets using tobramycin eye drops into the nose for chronic upper respiratory infections. It is another option but probably wouldn't work as well.
I would for now. If the symptoms start to improve, I may talk to your vet about weaning off the Temaril. I just wouldn't do anything different right now.
Yes, it is the same thing. That sounds good. Have you started it yet?
Yes it is. It is used very often in nebulizers. I assume the veterinarian prescribed it, correct?
Saline is saline. There are no different kinds. It most likely came from a sterile bottle or sterile bag of sodium chloride (same as saline) IV fluids. Hope this helps.
You would have thought that the vet would have left instructions for that. I usually use 35-50 mg (0.35-0.5 ml) of gentamicin in 3-4 mls of saline.
I wouldn't use 100mg. I would only use 35-50 mg. That is 0.35-0.5 ml. The concentration of 100mg/ml is the only way that gentamicin comes. Hope this helps.
It was already mixed up?
Okay. Thanks. So 0.2 ml of 100 mg/ml gentamicin equals 20 mg of gentamicin to mix with the 0.5 ml of saline. That should be good. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to let me know. I want to make sure you are understanding it correctly.