Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

She is bleeding from the urethra. She 2 yrs old, spayed.

Customer Question

She is bleeding from the urethra. She 2 yrs old, spayed. Breed Bassett Hound
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the hound?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me what symptoms you're seeing?

Does she have blood in her urine?

Is this dripping from her vulva?

When did it begin?

Any history of urinary issues?

When was she spayed?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I found blood stains on my sheets. She has had urinary problems in the past. She was spayed at 6 months. She is dripping blood and constantly licking herself.

This is likely another symptom of a urinary issue. Have they changed her diet yet? Found any crystals in her urine or the like?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She is a grain free diet. But she gets into stuff outside all the time. Grass, weeds, bark etc. She gets green beans and carrots. About 3 months ago the discovered a bacteria but was put on antibiotics.

Another urinalysis is indicated at this time. The grain-free food may not be enough and, if it is, her eating other things may be the reason that she's having issues again. She certainly needs to go on antibiotics again with the presence of blood, but your vet will want to ensure that she is not also producing crystals/stones in her urine/bladder. If she's not straining currently, there's no need to head to the ER but I would have her examined tomorrow, if possible, and no later than Monday.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you.I will take her first thing in the morning. God bless.

Sure thing. Happy to help.