PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Plugged nostril only one side, and ride eye on the same

Plugged nostril only one side, and ride eye on the same side
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Red eye , looks like infection
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: 9 year old English springer spaniel
JA: What is the springer spaniel's name?
Customer: Bryce
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The nostril is plugged on the same side as the eye looks infected. A discharge that is crusty and dark is coming from that one nostril
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is eating and drinking fine.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We live on a creek, and he is in it on a daily basis
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We also have farm animals , horses, chickens. He loves to eat the poop
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The eye and nostril effected are on the right side

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you please post a picture of both the eye and the nostril?

Does it appear that the nostril is occluded? If so, by what?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure. The past few days I have gotten crusty stuff out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also the same side of his face is dropping, and drooling a bit.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've been using vetrolycin hc in his left eye 2x per day. Morning and night

It would be a good idea to have the nose and eyes examined. There is a possibility that something could be lodged in the nostril because the other one is not affected. A veterinarian may be able to use an otoscope to look up the nostril to see if there is an abnormality. Alternately, you may wish to try some saline nasal drops on that side to see if it helps with the congestion and even some antihistamines to see if there may be an allergic factor present causing not only the eyes to bed red but for the nose to become crusty and occluded. My personal preference is Zytec and you can find the dosage here: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It looks like it has cleared the eye pretty well. I startled it 5 days ago

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you. I have hydroxyzine 50 mg for allergies. I will try that tonight and head to the vet in the morning.

Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks

Anytime.