PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

He is unable to place his paw on the floor. my husband

he is unable to place his paw on the floor. my husband thinks the middle bone in his paw could be broken or displaced, the injury is to the middle paw nail - he's a chihuahua
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Widget he will be 2 next month
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has any injury been sustained?
2) Any swelling?
3) Front limb or back limb?
4) When did this begin?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
1. the problem started yesterday morning he was fine when he went to bed the night before
2. there is a bit of swelling
3. front right payh
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
sorry that's paw

Your husband may be right. The best approach would be to have the paw examined and an x-ray taken to see if it is, indeed, broken. However, if no injury has occurred the risk of a break is minimal. We do occasionally see pets that step on insects and are either bit or stung and we see sensitivity, swelling and refusal to put the paw down. If there may be a risk of this happening, it wouldn't hurt to try 1-2mg/pound of body weight of Benadryl every 8-12 hours to see if there is improvement. If not, a vet visit would still be indicated. If this is broken, depending on the break's location, splinting and even surgery may be needed.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok thank you. he has pain meds that he sometimes takes but not daily.

It won't hurt to give a dose today if he has not already had one. This should help with discomfort as well. Good luck!