PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Our 4 year old Great Dane stopped eating last night and

Our 4 year old Great Dane stopped eating last night and nothing today either. For a dog that lives for her meals and walks it is concerning. She went for her usual walk, has peed and had a stool and is not drinking excessive amounts of water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Her paws look fine.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She had her stomach tacked 1 1/2 years ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has she had any change in her diet? new treats? human food?
2) Any vomiting, drooling or diarrhea?
3) Is it correct that she's drinking but not eating?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No chang in diet, no treats and no human. No vomiting,drooling or loose stools. She had a small s morning that was normal. We haven't noticed her drinking either.

The lack of desire to eat can certainly be linked to an upset stomach, although the cause may or may not be determined. I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and to use bland diet with higher fiber once they begin eating again. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet by tomorrow or you see worsening of symptoms today or overnight, she absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. Start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. Work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try what you recommended.

You're welcome. Let me know if you need any further help. Good luck!